Tuesday 21 October 2014

Beautiful Bali Indonesia - Selamat Datang (Welcome)

After long roads, and so much remote country side, now people, lots of people!. Indonesia - people everywhere, cows in the middle of town, such a totally opposite world to the last few weeks in Australia. 

The flight from Cairns to Denpasar was the beginning of the next leg of this incredible journey. At the airport I took a photo of my trusty companion from a totally unique angle.
My trusty companion from a different angle ;)
Over the next few weeks I will cycle from Denpasar via Banjuwani, Surabaya and on to Jakarta.
The first morning, I set out early 5:00am with the idea that there is not so much traffic. Wrong! 30 minutes later thousands of mopeds.... it took a little bit of adjusting to fit in and to get familiar with the traffic and adapt to the rules of the road. In Australia I saw hardly any cyclists, until now, I was the only one and now so many people around me and all full of smiles.
People and cows everywhere I look :)
The temperature is around 32 degrees but they say here it feels more like 40 degrees. My first trip was from Kuta to Negara 108km (a nice auspicious number for my Anahata friends) through the parts of the city and the beautiful countryside of Bali, then on to Gilimanuk and on the ferry to Banyuwangi. When I was 19 - that's 40 years ago; I took the same ferry, but it was in the night and then the whole world was at my feet. Amazing after all this cycling I feel like I am 20 again; and it looks like I have more energy now!

My bike sleeps every night with me, and this night for only 75000 rp = NZ$7.5 ($3.25 each) - it makes me happy not to chain him to a tree for a change.
A room for me and my trusty companion
Chilli farm at the foot of a volcano
It is hot and then some, but I am coping with it well. Imagine in this heat, and then passing a chilli farm, at the foot of a volcano....! 
On the 17th October I cycled about 100km from Banyuwangi to Satubondo. On my way I met 4 cyclists travelling from Jakarta  - they became my first Indonesian friends. They offer me all the help if I needed, maybe we see you again in Jakarta - "Terima kasih". 
Terima kasih - thanks for your help

Pass the 4000km mark, halfway to Cambodia!
Bike experience, I got there just too late ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment